The Real Estate Council of Alberta is the independent governing authority that sets, regulates and enforces standards for real estate brokerage, mortgage brokerage and property management licensees in Alberta.
RECA’s mandate is to protect consumers and to provide services that enhance and improve the real estate industry and the business of licensees.
RECA creates consumer trust and confidence in the real estate industry by:
- setting and enforcing standards of conduct and professional development requirements for the industry to protect the consumer
- providing services that enhance and improve the industry
- promoting the integrity of the industry
- protecting against, investigating, detecting and suppressing mortgage fraud as it relates to the industry
By 2020, the Real Estate Council of Alberta will:
- set the foundation for real estate licensees to serve the public interest, protect consumers, and provide a positive real estate experience through effective establishment and enforcement of professional standards
- be recognized as an independent, responsive, and impartial governing body
- ensure real estate licensees have a professional mindset and engage in the practice of self-regulation
Commitment to Consumer Protection
The Real Estate Council of Alberta protects consumers through:
- establishing education standards for entry into the industry
- setting licensing requirements to ensure suitability of individuals who wish to enter the industry
- requiring mandatory participation in an errors and omissions insurance program
- setting standards of business conduct that promote the integrity of the industry
- carrying out effective investigation of complaints
- conducting disciplinary proceedings
- administering the Real Estate Assurance Fund
- provision of information services to educate consumers about real estate and mortgage, and the business of industry licensees
For more information on all aspects of the Real Estate Council of Alberta, its mandate, its people and its services, or Alberta’s licensees, please visit RECA’s website at www.reca.ca.
If you want to sign up for RECA’s consumer email list, please click here.